Understanding Climate Change Today - Content Pages from Web-based Course
NCAR Online Education offers web-based courses for teachers seeking professional development opportunities. Click here to see a current list of courses and to get more information about them.
We are making the content pages (text with images, videos, animations, and interactive multimedia) from those courses available on the Windows to the Universe web site. This will allow course graduates to access the materials after the course has ended, and will also allow them to provide their students with access to the course materials as they see fit.
This page provides links to the content pages from the course "Understanding Climate Change Today".
- Introduction to MOODLE
- Future Climates: Where Are We Heading?
- Climate Model "Test Drive"
- Where are we now? Climate "Today"
- The IPCC
- Climate Modeling
- Predictions of Future Global Climate
- Changes in Regional Weather & Urban Impacts
- Changes in Regional Weather & Climates
- Climate Change: Regional Impacts
- Modeling Future Climate on a Regional Scale
- Urban Impacts
- Population and Urbanization
- Urban Heat Islands
- Air Pollution
- Urban Rain (NASA Earth Observatory)
- Closing the Loop
- Impacts of Warming - Two Case Studies
- Impacts of Climate Change on Human Health
- Extreme Events and Health
- Climate Change and Vector-Borne Disease
- Changing Climate, Changing Water, and Human Health
- Impacts of Climate Change on Greenland Ice
- The Cryosphere and Global Climate Change
- Greenland's Ice Is Melting Faster
- Activity: Model a Moving Glacier
- Activity: Glaciers Then and Now
- Impact on Environments - Two Topics
- Impacts of Changing Climates on Plants
- What is Phenology?
- Phenology and Climate Change
- Project BudBurst
- Health of Coral Reef Ecosystems in a Changing World
- Coral Reefs on a Changing Planet
- Coral Reefs in Acidic Ocean Water
- Reefs in Hot Water - Coral Bleaching and Climate Change
- Natural Ocean Thermostat Helps Protect Pacific Ocean Coral Reefs
- Reef Health Depends on Algae Chomping Fish
- Mitigating the Impacts of Changing Climates: What Can We Do?
- Mitigating the Impacts of Changing Climates
- Climate Change Mitigation
- What Can We Do?
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- What Can I Do?
- Case Study: Stabilization Wedges
- Stabilization Wedges Web site (Princeton)
Shop Windows to the Universe Science Store!
Our online store
on science education, ranging from evolution
, classroom research
, and the need for science and math literacy
You might also be interested in:
As of March 2008, the total number of human beings on the Earth is estimated to be more than 6.6 billion. The actual population is never known for certain, since these numbers rely on national censuses,...more
What Is an Urban Heat Island? An urban heat island (UHI) is a metropolitan area which is significantly warmer than its surroundings. According to the EPA, many U.S. cities have air temperatures up to 1...more
What do smog, acid rain, carbon monoxide, fossil fuel exhausts, and tropospheric ozone have in common? They are all examples of air pollution. Air pollution is not new. As far back as the 13 th century,...more
Changes in the cryosphere have a considerable impact on global climate. This is because the cryosphere is an important part of the Earth system and because it is so interconnected with other parts of the...more
Greenland, the enormous island – the world’s largest- that sits between the Arctic and Atlantic Oceans, is almost entirely covered with ice. A massive ice sheet blankets about 80% of the land surface....more
This article summarizes calculations that simulate what may have been the most violent event that has ever occurred to the Earth, its collision with the next largest body that was present in its region...more
Windows to the Universe offered numerous workshops at the upcoming NSTA meeting in Chicago, Illinois. Workshops included: November 10 "Climate Change: Classroom Tools" - Explore the scientific foundations...more