Results from Mars Pathfinder
These are the findings of Mars Pathfinder.
- High Silica Rocks - a result from chemical analysis of the Martian rocks.
- Rounded Pebbles, Cobbles and possible Conglomerates were found - a result from analysis of the landingsite, the rocks, the soils, and erosion patterns.
- suggestive of fluvial processes over a long time
- suggestive of liquid water in equilibrium with the atmosphere
- suggestive of a warmer & wetter Martian past
- Airborne Dust is Magnetic
- chemical analysis of the dust shows that iron seems to be leached from the crust by an active hydrologic process
- Better Moment of Inertia measurement (the shape of Mars)
- suggests Mars has a large core
- Landing site is as expected
- validates the use of ground-based measurements
- showed a variety of rocks deposited by a catastrophic flood
- questions remain about the deposition conditions, variety, and origin of the rocks
- other remaining questions include: how fast, & where was the Martian water flowing, what was the capacity of the flood?